Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Emotional Repsonse

I've been friends with Jonathon ever since we were eleven. Though time and space has kept us apart we have managed to stay emotionally in-tuned with each other. Just the other week I was on the phone with him, and we were laughing about some dumb joke. After the giggling was over he unexpectedly asked me "So, what's wrong?" At first I laughed and thought about asking him what he meant, but then I began to tell him anyway. I don't always call Jonathon to complain or ask for advice, and it's even more rare for me to talk to him about my relationships due to our complicated past. 
It was different this time-- he had caught me. He knows me too well and can tell when I'm pretending to be okay, and I know better than to lie to him. I began to tell him about the most recent problems in my relationship. Jonathon told me I was right to be angry, that nothing about what my boyfriend did was okay, and that what he did was "actually pretty fucked up". He made me feel a little better, made me laugh some, but didn't quite give me any consolation. Maybe I didn't feel very different because of how isolated he is from the subject matter and how little knows about my relationship (other than the bad stuff), or maybe it was simply because I was feeling alone. 
The following weekend I made a decision not to go out. My boyfriend decided he wanted some "space" so I figured I might as well lessen the chances of running into him. I didn't feel like drinking or seeing much of anyone anyways.
 My roommate, Chris, tried getting me to go out with him and his girlfriend but the last thing I wanted was the be a third-wheel. My other roommate, Michaela, suggested "If you can't sleep then come down the Silk's for after-hours. Drink's on me!" I took her up on the offer but only stayed for one drink before I felt obliged to help close down the bar. 
I sulked my way up to the front door of our dark apartment where I stood for a good minute jingling my keys around trying to find the right one. Chris must have heard me because when I opened the door he was standing in the hallway, in the dark, and in his boxers. He held his arms out to me and said "whats up?" Without a word I fell into his body, my arms wrapped tightly around him, and my tears racing down my cheek onto his neck. He didn't have to say anything more. It meant the world to me just to have him there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment